user
@steve
Want a way to look up a user and retrieve data
Hi there,
I'm looking to use the sheets to allow a user to look up their data using their data.
For example, steve@steve.com inputs his email and sees that he has completed X courses and earned X points. Each course and points total would be a different cell in the sheet.
Is this possible?
Thanks
user
@support
Steve, if you are good with Excel formulas and can figure out a formula for that - then, in theory, you can use SheetsSet to write a formula to a cell and then use SheetsGet to retrieve the calculated value.
user
@steve
Hmmm, interesting. I'll give that a try. Thanks.
user
@steve
Thank for the tip. I got it working, and it is awesome.
user
@support
Props for your formula writing skills! Not many people would be able to pull it off.
user
@eeohay
Hi Steve,
I'm interested in doing exactly the same thing, but not familiar with the lookup "sheetset" formula. Would you be willing to share your formula? I could probably adapt it for my purposes.
user
@support
Hello. You can look into the VLOOKUP function https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093318?hl=en and also maybe Steve has any suggestions.
user
@eeohay
thanks for the guidance. all i want to do is have users enter in their name (that would be my vlookup "search key"...let's say it's in column A of my spreadsheet) and get a value (a link they've provided previously) from column B. but i'm lost here...
user
@eeohay
i have it working in sheets, i just can't get the javascript right on the storyline end.
user
@support
In the JavaScript trigger you will do:
SheetsSet('Formula', '=VLOOKUP....');
SheetsGet('Formula', 'varname');

So you are writing a formula to a cell titled "Formula," the value gets calculated as you do it, and then you read the calculated result and save it to a Storyline variable "varname."

If you need more help, please consider starting a new thread so we don't spam Steve with all these messages.
user
@eeohay
That did it! thanks πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ