user
@justin1
I'm trying to collect data (a name) from a Google Sheet to see it in the published storyline fil
I've got a published storyline file which is sending data to a Google sheet successfully when the javascript runs.
However, when I try to collect data from the same sheet using the 'SheetsGet' command it doesn't work. Nothing is coming through despite naming the column on the same sheet and making sure the variable is named correctly.
Do I need to use a different sheet or an entirely different Google sheet to be able to collect the data?
I've tried everything I can think of & am stuck.
Help!
user
@support
No, you should be able to use both SheetsGet and SheetsSet as you see fit. If you want, upload your .story file, we'll check what's wrong. Most likely, there's a problem with a trigger somewhere. Note that we don't need your entire course, just that one slide with the issue.
user
@justin1
Thanks for the wonderfully swift response. The slide in question is the first one where we want it to pull the business name in from the Google Sheet (Sheet1 Column name is 'Name', variable is called 'NameInput'))
You can download the file from here - https://netorgft4414651-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/justin_leadability_co_uk/Ecs2-pgSEktOr1Fke7bTT5gBawDu4grPGmOqGlrMtEYxjw?e=Ha6mZs
As I said earlier, the connection with the Google Sheet is working fine with sending the data later in the file.

Many thanks! :-)
user
@support
Okay, few notes:

- The cell that contains three merged cells only visually looks as if it occupies three rows. From the Google's point of view, its address is still J2. So when your learner is assigned row 4, they indeed have nothing in the Name (J4).

- You can manually override the current row that's being accessed by changing the variable stencilsheetstoken , so if you set it to 2 (after the widget loads) the reading and writing will occur on row 2 instead of whatever new row the learner is assigned on load.

- Note that the load trigger on the master needs to complete before the SheetsGet trigger on the slide is started, otherwise you will attempt to read data from a sheet that's not yet loaded, so that will not work either.

- You can create two temporary buttons on the slide: one to write something to a test column on the sheet and another to read the value from the sheet just so you can open the document and see where things get saved - so you can see how the logic works.
user
@justin1
Hi there - not sure I fully understand the issue. But I haven't space to address it now. I'll take time to work it through over the weekend & let you know how it goes next week.

In the meantime, thanks again for the rapid responses - & wishing you a fabulous Easter weekend (Or whatever weekend you are going to have! :-))
user
@support
Here's another way to say it:

Rows 2 and 3 in the spreadsheet are taken. So the next user is assigned row 4. When you call SheetsGet, you're reading the column J on row 4. That cell (J4) is empty, that's why you get an empty result.